POLICE operatives in Nasarawa State have rescued a two-year-old baby from a neighbour’s orchestrated kidnap, having spent two weeks in the abductors’ custody.
The kidnappers, the police said, requested Two Million, Five Hundred Thousand Naira (N2.500,000.00) as ransom before setting the baby boy free.
Investigation conducted by the police revealed that the said neighbour, Abubakar Saidu, 38, connived with two others:Yusuf Yusuf, 23, and Haruna Garba, 50, all males of Orange Market, to perpetrate the wicked act, and have been arrested.
Disclosing this at a press conference, held on Thursday, 24 August, the Command’s spokesman, DSP Rahman Nansel, on behalf of the state Commissioner of Police, CP Maiyaki Baba, said that on 8th August, at about 1530hrs, Adamu Abdullahi ‘M’ of Orange Market, Mararaba in the Karu Local Government Area reported that his two-year-old son had been missing for two weeks.
According to the complainant, all efforts to trace the boy’s whereabouts had proved abortive, stating further that, on the same day, he received a call from an unknown person demanding a ransom of Two Million, Five Hundred Thousand Naira (₦2,500,000.00), for the release of the boy.
The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) said that, on the basis of the report, a team of detectives were deployed to go after the abductors, resulting in the arrest of the three suspects.
According to the Command’s spokesman, “Upon interrogation, Abubakar Saidu (the said neighbour to the complainant) confessed to having conspired with the above-mentioned suspects to kidnap the two-year-old child and handed him to one Salamatu Abubakar (his wife) who took the child to Katsina State.
“She was also trailed and arrested, and the child was rescued and reunited with his parents”, the PPRO said.
Eighteen-Eleven Media