GOVERNOR Uba Sani-led government of Kaduna State has imposed a 24 hour curfew on Kaduna and Zaria metropolitan cities to stem incidences of looting and vandalisation perpetrated by some unscrupulous youths.
Although normalcy had been restored in some parts of Kaduna, thousands of youths are out on the streets, demanding an end to what they described as bad governance.
President Bola Tinubu had addressed the nation, pleading for calm, but the protesters said the nation’s number one citizen did not address their demands.
In a statement on Monday, Samuel Aruwan, Overseeing Commissioner, Ministry of Internal Security and Home Affairs, said the decision to impose curfew was taken in the interest of peace.
“The Kaduna State Security Council under the leadership of Governor Uba Sani, following a review of the security situation in the State, hereby notifies citizens of the following:”
“There is sufficient evidence to clearly indicate that the ongoing protest has been hijacked by criminal elements who have resorted to looting of shops and destruction of private and public property.
“In view of this unfortunate development, the Kaduna State Security Council has unanimously resolved to impose a 24-hour curfew on Kaduna and Zaria Metropolises and environs with immediate effect.
“Citizens are advised to remain indoors while security forces continue to work to maintain safety and security. Monitoring will be sustained for review of the curfew as required.”
Eighteen-Eleven Media