EXACTLY four days after losing his mother following a protracted illness, gunmen on Thursday abducted three family members of former Daily Trust Editor Ahmed Ajobe in Kogi State.
Mama Aishetu Tahir was said to have given up the ghost on Sunday after a protracted illness, and the family was preparing for the seven-day prayers when the latest incident occurred.
According to sources, the kidnap victims include a male and two females, one of whom is Mr. Ajobe’s immediate younger sister, Halimatu-Sadiya Tahir. They were reportedly abducted on Thursday, 22 November, while returning from a nearby community market in Awo, Ankpa Local Government Area of Kogi State, along the deteriorating Ankpa-Adoka-Markudi Road. They had gone to the market to purchase items for the prayers of the late journalist’s mother.
A family friend who preferred anonymity said that the abductors had demanded Fifty Million Naira (N50,000,000.00) for the release of the victims.
“Yes, three of Ajobe’s family members were kidnapped at gunpoint at about 3 pm on Thursday,” the source said.
“The kidnappers reached out on Friday afternoon, demanding N50 million as ransom,”
“I can’t confirm if the family is in the negotiations because I had to leave the community for an emergency in Lokoja. What I can say is that no amount has been paid yet, and the victims are still in captivity.”
The spokesperson of the State Police Command, William Aya, confirmed the incident, stating that the Divisional Police Officer in charge of the area had already deployed his men to the region to ensure the rescue of the victims.
He added that the state Commissioner of Police Bethrand Onuoha, had also ordered the drafting of a police tactical team to reinforce the existing team, assuring the people that everything possible would be done to ensure the safe release of the abducted persons and bring the criminals to justice.
Eighteen-Eleven Media