Kemisola Oye
COUNSEL to the defendants in the N12.3 billion charge against Chairman of the Honeywell Group, Oba Otudeko and others, on Monday, announced an appearance in protest of the charge.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) profered a 13-count charge against Otudeko, and a former Managing Director of First Bank Limited, Olabisi Onasanya.
Also charged is a former board member of Honeywell, Soji Akintayo and a firm, Anchorage Leisure Ltd.
The charge is marked FHC/L/20C/2025
The defendants were accused of allegedly obtaining N12.3 billion from First Bank under pretence.
When the case was called counsel to Otudeko, Mr Bode Olanipekun (SAN), informed the court that he was appearing in protest in the case, as the charge had not been served on his client.
Mr Olumide Fusika (SAN) announced his appearance for the second defendant and informed the court that he had a copy of the charge, which he printed online.
Mr Kehinde Ogunwumiju (SAN) appeared for the third defendant while Mr Adeogun Philips (SAN) announced his appearance for the fourth defendant in protest.
Philips also informed the court that his appearance was in protest as his client was never served with any charge.
Justice Chukwujekwu Aneke then raised a question as to the appearance of all defence counsel in court, if they claim the defendants had not been served.
In response, Olanipekun told the court that on 17 January 2025, the media was agog with screaming headlines, indicating that the defendants were to be arraigned on Monday.
He showed to the court several national dailies with the report, and also read out portions of the report, showing that the defendants were to appear before Justice Aneke.
He described such conduct as being most unfair, especially as no charge was served on his client.
In response, the prosecutor, Mr Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN) told the court that efforts were made to effect service on the defendants without success.
Oyedepo, consequently informed the court that the prosecution had a motion for substituted service, at the last known addresses of these defendants.
He prayed the court to move his application, and the court granted same.
After moving his application, counsel to the second defendant informed the court that he was willing to undertake service of the charge for his client since he had already taken steps to print same.
Following a directive by the court to issue service on the second defence counsel who had indicated a willingness to accept same, the prosecutor handed Fusika a copy of the charge in court.
The court, consequently, adjourned the case until 13 February, for arraignment of the defendants.
The EFCC alleges offences were committed between 2013 and 2014 in tranches of N5.2 billion, N6.2 billion, N6.1 billion, N1.5 billion and N500 million.
Eighteen-Eleven Media