Abdulazeez Abdulwahab
NEWLY signed Manchester United goal tender, André Onana is back with the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon barely eight months after announcing his retirement from international football.
Onana’s name features prominently in a 24-player squad released Tuesday for an African Cup qualifying game against Burundi on 12th September. Cameroon needs only to draw the home game to advance to the tournament, which starts on 13th January in Ivory Coast.
The ex-Inter Milan player said he was ending his international career last December at the age of 26. He was dropped by coach Rigobert Song after starting Cameroon’s first game at the World Cup in Qatar — a 1-0 loss to Switzerland — in a disagreement over team tactics with Song, who said players needed to “show discipline and respect.”
Cameroon then drew 3-3 with Serbia and beat Brazil 1-0 but did not advance to the round of 16.
Onana, however, said last year: “Cameroon remains eternal and so does my love for the national team.”
Onana, 27, replaced David de Gea as Man United’s squad.
Eighteen-Eleven Media