Steven Gerrard ‘Agrees New Two-Year Contract Extension’ To Stay At Al-Ettifaq

0
Share:

STEVEN Gerrard has agreed a two-year contract extension as head coach of Al Ettifaq, The Athletic can reveal.

The hierarchy will continue its commitment to provide the 43-year-old funds to sign players and develop the club.

Gerrard’s new deal will see him tied down until 2027.

He joined the Saudi Pro League club in July 2023 but has so far struggled for consistency, with Al Ettifaq winless in their last eight matches.

The former Liverpool player moved to Saudi Arabia after being sacked by Premier League side Aston Villa in October 2022.

Prior to managing Villa, Gerrard had a three-year spell in charge of Rangers, who he led to the Scottish Premiership title in 2020-21.

He had initially turned down an approach to manage Al Ettifaq but went on to become their head coach.

On 5 June last year, Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Sport declared that the country’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) would assume control of four teams in the Saudi Pro League.

PIF, who holds an 80 per cent stake in the Premier League side Newcastle United, controls 75 per cent of Al Ittihad, Al Ahli, Al Hilal and Al Nassr, while the remaining 25 per cent is controlled by a non-profit organisation.

Al Ettifaq, situated in the city of Dammam, is not among the four teams.

Gerrard’s side are currently eighth in the Saudi Pro League table.

As revealed by The Athletic, one of Gerrard’s star signings, Jordan Henderson, is on the verge of leaving for Ajax after just six months at the club.

The former Liverpool captain joined in the summer but they are only eighth in the Saudi Pro League despite strong investment.

Gerrard had been considered to be under pressure due to a winless run of eight games.

His extension comes despite captain and friend Jordan Henderson terminating his contract with the club and is reportedly undertaking a medical with Ajax today.

Al-Ettifaq have tied their man down until 2027 with this new deal, as reported by The Athletic.

Gerrard initially rejected the opportunity to join Al-Ettifaq but changed his mind and signed a deal in July in a dramatic U-turn.

The club recruited Henderson, Georginio Wijnaldum, Demarai Gray, Jack Hendry, and Moussa Dembele in a bid to build on their seventh-placed finish last term.

Despite an impressive start, with six wins and only one defeat in the first eight games of the season in all competitions, they have since faltered.

Al-Ettifaq haven’t won a game since 28 October – and that’s the only match they’ve won in their last 13.

 

Eighteen-Eleven Media 

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *