Nnamdi Chukwu
THE governorship candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) in Ebonyi State, Benard Odoh on Monday, said he has obtained an order from a High Court in Owerri in suit No: HOW/194/2023 dated 3rd March 2023, to restrain the Nigeria Police and other security agencies in the state from harassing or arresting him.
Mr. Odoh, in a statement signed and made available to newsmen in Abakaliki by his campaign director, media and publicity, Charles Otu, said it is baseless, spurious and unwarranted for the Nigeria police to declare him, wanted for a matter that is before a court of law.
He said the Nigerian law still presumes an accused person innocent until proven guilty by a court of competent jurisdiction.
Same day the Police in Ebonyi State declared him wanted.
Odoh and nine others were declared wanted on Monday over the alleged murder of a monarch, Igbokwe Ewa.
The monarch was killed penultimate Monday in his country home by unknown gunmen.
He was the traditional ruler of the Umu-Ezekoha Community in the Ezza North Local Government Area.
Following his death last week, the ruling All Progressive Congress (APC) in the state accused Odoh and his supporters of having a hand in the monarch’s death.
But Odoh vehemently denied the allegation, stating that the monarch, who hails from the same local government as him, was like a father to him.
However, on Monday, Ebonyi police spokesperson, Onome Onovwakpoyeya in a statement declared Odoh and 9 others wanted.
He said: “The Ebonyi State Police Command has declared the under-listed persons wanted in connection with the murder of his Royal Highness Eze Christopher Igboke Ewa of Umu-Ezekoha Community in Ezza North.”
He listed others on the wanted list including Samuel Onyekachi Aligwe, Peter Orogwu (aka one boy), Chukwudi Aliewa (aka Ezza) and Chika Ezealigbo.
Others are Nnaemeka Egede (aka Champaign), Nnabuike Okohu, Ogobuchi Agbom (aka Okiri), Nonso Obasi, and Ikechukwu Nwoba (aka Solid).
Late last year, Odoh and his convoy were attacked in Izzi Local Government Area.
Though no lives were lost in that attack, one of the cars in his convoy was damaged by gunfire shot by attackers.
Odoh was again a victim of a deadly attack in Ishielu Local Government Area, during which a police officer and his personal driver died.
The home of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) House of Representatives candidate for Izzi/Abakaliki Constituency, Barnabas Ofoke was also attacked by gunmen last month.
Cars and other valuables in the compound used as campaign material for the party’s governorship candidate were destroyed.
An APC supporter was also killed last month in Íshielu Local Government Area as gunmen opened fire on a campaign ground in the area.
Odoh further stated that he knows nothing about the assassination of the traditional Ruler, HRH. Ezeogo Igboke Ewa of Umuezeokaoha in Ezza North LGA.
He noted that the Inspector General of Police, IGP and other security agencies have been served with the court order, stressing that the IGP, upon being served the said order, stopped all actions in the matter in difference to the court.
Meanwhile, the APGA governorship standard-bearer candidate had expressed great worries about why the Ebonyi State Police Commissioner, who is under the IGP should continue to take further action in the matter contrary to the order of court.
He said that the allegations are politically motivated and intended to undermine his chances of winning Saturday’s governorship election in Ebonyi State.
Odoh vowed never to be on the run for any reason whatsoever and noted his preparedness to pursue and seek the resolution of what he tagged as false and misleading allegations brought against him through legal and peaceful means.